Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Trip to Michigan

We went to Michigan for my grandmother's funeral. She lived a long and fruitful life, and now she is in a much better place - I am jealous of her. She had so many remarkable qualities that I hope to continue throughout the rest of my life. She was an awesome mother, wife and grandmother. I remember as a little girl getting birthday packages from her filled with clothes that she made for me. I also remember every time we would go visit the rest of the family, I always stayed with grandma and grandpa because I had no cousins my age. I look back on that now and realize how lucky I am to have had that time with them. I remember waking up every morning to grandma and grandpa praying together. They were the biggest prayer warriors that I know. It scares me a little because I know that they prayed for each and every person in our family every day and now it is up to us, will we be as faithful??? I certainly hope so. She made the best fudge and I wanted to be sure and get the recipe from her so that I could tell my kids and grandkids that the recipe was my grandmas....well I called her up and asked her for the recipe and she told me, "it is on the back of the marshmellow creme jar...." - so now her recipe is famous....right???? Well, anyway, she made it full of love and that is why it is so special to me.

She would have loved to see the kids and especially loved to hold Keira....she loved babies and always held them when she had the chance. You know she never had a job out of the house? She never had a driver's license? She was so completely dedicated to being a mom and wife that she didn't need those things. I think about me being that way and I think I would have gone crazy without a driver's license especially since I have trained my kids to go go go all the time. Life was simpler back than and she was just interested in being the best at what she did - which she was. She loved to play yatzee with us...almost every time she came to visit, we played at least one game with her. She was a timeless classic, beautiful in everything she said and did.

I remember when I took Josh home to meet the family, my grandparents came over to meet him. I was very interested in what they thought of him. Of course, they saw what I saw in him and loved him right off the bat. maybe because he helped with the dishes???? He still does, so it wasn't a show. I think deep down, their approval was all I needed to have to marry him (along with my parent's approval as well). I am a very lucky woman to have such a great family that cares so much.



Our trip was full of fun after the funeral. We went to my parent's house and had lots of fun. The kids were able to play with their Michigan cousins and had a blast......


















We went camping out at the lake for a week and here is Aunt Kristi with Keira....Keira was held most of the time......she didn't get to get in the water at the pool, so I got to spend some quality time with her.


Uncle Johnny and Aunt Randee look awfully comfortable with a little one :)



















All the kids had fun playing in the corn maze. It was tall enough so that the kids couldn't see over the corn. Caleb got lost in the corn - he actually got out of the maze and was headed in the opposite direction....gave us a bit of a scare, but we found him and he was fine - thank you God!



Caleb and Isaiah are at the mall waiting for the rain to slow down. On the day of Grandma's funeral, we had to check out of the hotel by 11, the funeral was at 2, so we went to the mall and had lunch. It poured at the wrong time - needless to say, we got a little bit wet. Rick had the right idea when he drove his vehicle under the tunnel....











The kids had so much fun playing on the farm. From jumping on the trampoline, to visiting the new kittens and chickens (Chloe and Adriana's favorite), and of course rides in the wagon.

Grandma and Grandpa use their shed to feed the troops, but also to spend quality time with their grandkids.

We went to visit Great Grandpa and Caleb and Keira got a lot of love from him. Again, precious pictures. Chloe was very unsure of him, maybe next time. She is definitely my shy one. She only goes to Grandma, Grandpa (both sides), mom, dad, and a few of my close friends....sorry All you Uncles out there, she is a little nervous (?) around you still, give her a few years....

In the hotel we stayed at on our way up, Chloe gets a chance to attack and wrestle with Caleb....who is winning? Not sure, they both look like they are enjoying themselves.


One of our favorite things we look forward to when we go to Michigan is the camfires and smores. The kids love being able to stay up late and get a sugar high before going to bed.

We had a blast in Michigan and can't wait to return -probably not until Christmas though....counting the days.....

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Too much fun! I want a Smore!

lng said...

Love it Renae!  What a wonderful time with your family celebrating Grandma's life.