Monday, July 13, 2009

Garden Update

Okay, so remember months ago (February 16 to be exact) when I sent a blog saying that I was going to try my hand at gardening? Well, here is what it looks like now. I will admit, I didn't have high hopes for this years garden, but I am quite impressed with what we are going to get. I have learned a few things this year, so next year is sure to be even better. For example, as you can see, my zucchini and squash have pretty much taken over the garden.....so we need to get some of those wire circles so they will grow up instead of out and around. My broccoli got eaten by bugs, so I need to get some kind of bug treatment on the veggies earlier. The green peppers are coming along, next year I will plant actual plants instead of seeds, and the strawberries (of which I am completely surprised that any came up) will be put on mounds instead of just in the ground. We tried to put them in mounds, but apparently not good enough. Anyway, here are some pics of the veggies I have growing. On the right end of the garden there are carrots and they look great, for some reason, I didn't take a picture of them....
zucchini
squash
I think this is where we planted cucumbers, but I am pretty sure that these are not going to turn into cucumbers....any idea what it is? a weed maybe???? I haven't wanted to pull it, just in case....
I was quite surprised to find a strawberry growing on one of my two strawberry plants....I would love to have a whole mess of strawberries next season, here's hoping......okay, I know it is quite small, but I was pretty excited...we may have to split it five ways, but we will enjoy it.
of course, I am always open for suggestions on how to create/grow a better garden....I don't think I did too bad for a rookie though....